***ATTENTION: Please note temporary hours for Laplace, 9am-4pm Monday through Friday. Unfortunately Due To Storm Damage, Boutte Is Closed Until Further Notice (Westbank St. Charles Parish Resident Can Mention This Banner For A 10% Discount Off ABC Title’s Service Fees.***

Phone: 504-364-0725
Learner’s Permits can now be issued Monday through Saturday! Every new Driver must obtain a Temporary Instructional Permit (TIP) from the OMV and take Driver’s Education, prior to obtaining a Learner’s Permit or Driver’s License (regardless of age). At ABC Title, you are out in minutes instead of hours!


Learner’s Permits can now be issued Monday through Saturday! Every new Driver must obtain a Temporary Instructional Permit (TIP) from the OMV and take Driver’s Education, prior to obtaining a Learner’s Permit or Driver’s License (regardless of age). At ABC Title, you are out in minutes instead of hours!

  1. Learner’s Permit
  2. Real ID Upgrade
  3. Duplicate Learner’s Permit
  4. Emergency Contact Information
  5. Motorcycle Endorsements
  6. Blood Type Indicator

Taking the Driver’s Education Course? Download the Class D &E Driver’s Guide (R0914)


1) Learner’s Permit

A minor who is 15 or 16 years of age may only be issued a Class E Learner’s Permit after having obtained a Temporary Instructional Permit (TIP) from the OMV and after having completed Driver’s Education and a written examination both offered by Driving Schools. Here is what you need to bring:

  • Birth Certificate
  • A certificate of Successful Completion from the Driver’s Education class attended
  • A custodial parent or legal guardian must sign the application. The parent must present identification and legal guardians also must present legal documentation verifying the guardianship
  • Temporary Instructional Permit
2) Real ID Upgrade

Although you will not need to be Real ID-compliant for air travel until October 1, 2020, ABC Title can issue them now.  After October 1, 2020, visitors seeking access to military bases and federal facilities must have a driver’s license or identification card that is Real ID compliant. Simply bring one primary form of ID, two secondary forms, and two proofs of residency.  For your Real ID Checklist click here and for frequently asked questions regarding the RealID, click here.

*NOTE:  If your primary document (Passport or Birth Certificate) reflects your maiden name, then you must also bring your marriage license.

3) Duplicate Learner’s Permit

Lost your Learner’s Permit? Don’t worry, at ABC Title we can print a duplicate Learner’s Permit in minutes instead of hours. Bring your Certificate of Attendance from school, Birth Certificate and your parent or legal guardian with their ID. If you are over 18, simply come in and we can look you up.

4) Emergency Contact Information

Did you know that if you ask, you can have an emergency contact added to your Learner’s Permit record? In the event of an accident, police officers and emergency personnel can access emergency contact information using the credential number if you are unable to communicate. In a separate transaction, a contact name, address, relationship and multiple contact numbers can be added. Let ABC Title provide you with this additional level of security and peace of mind.

5) Motorcycle Endorsements

An applicant must possess a valid Louisiana driver’s license or learner’s permit.  Applicant must also provide a certificate of successful completion of the Department of Public Safety, Motorcycle Safety, Awareness and Operators Training Program. The certificate must be presented in a sealed (untampered) envelope. The envelope must clearly indicate the name and address of the issuing entity.   

The course can be taken at the Louisiana State Police or at a Harley-Davidson New Orleans provided the course completion date was on or after August 14, 2015.

Note: If the applicant is fifteen (15) or sixteen (16) years of age, he is restricted to driving within a distance of three miles from his residence, unless a parent, tutor, or other person having custody is temporarily staying or residing at another location, where the applicant would be restricted to within three miles of that location.

6) Blood Type Indicator

Ask us about adding your blood type to your Driver’s License or Learner’s Permit. This is a way to get some extra peace of mind for you or your minor children who drive and there is no additional fee if you are adding it in conjunction with another Driver’s License transaction. In the event of an emergency, medical providers can act fast. This also compliments the Organ Donor indicator and the emergency contact information.


Q. What forms of payment do you accept?

A. We accept cash, debit, and all major credit cards (including AMEX). Note there is an additional 3% fee for credit card payments. We do not accept personal checks.

Q. When can I upgrade my Learner’s Permit to a Full License?

A. You must be at least 16 years old and have had your permit for at least 180 days. You must also return to the Driving School to take the Road Skills Test.

Q. When must I get a Learner’s Permit before getting my license and how long must I keep it before upgrading?

A. Applicants age 15 must maintain the Learner’s Permit for a minimum of 180 days AND until they reach the age of 16 when they may apply for an Intermediate License. Applicants age 16 must maintain the Learner’s Permit for a minimum of 180 days OR until they reach the age of 17 when they may apply for an Intermediate or Full License. Applicants age 17 are eligible for either a Learner’s Permit or a Full License. To obtain a Full License, a vision and road skills test must be successfully completed.

Q. Who can ride with me when I have my Learner’s Permit?

A. The Learner’s Permit will allow the minor to drive with a licensed parent or guardian; a licensed adult age twenty-one or older; or a licensed sibling at who is at least eighteen or older. In no event may a Lerner’s Permit be upgraded to a higher-class license prior to the minor reaching 16 years of age. In addition to the licensed parent, sibling, guardian or adult, there may be other members of the permittee’s immediate family in the vehicle.
The Learner’s Permit allows the teen to carry no more than 1 passenger under the age of 21 that is not a member of their immediate family or a Licensed Driver over the age of 21 between the hours of 6:00pm and 5am.

Q. What is a TIP (Temporary Instructional Permit) and who needs to get one?

A. All First-Time Driver’s Education applicants of all ages must get one. All applicants must apply to the Office of Motor Vehicles for a Class “E” Temporary Instructional Permit (TIP) prior to enrolling in the classroom instruction of a Driver’s Education course, Driver’s Training program or Pre- Licensing training course. The TIP may be issued to any individual that is at least 14 years of age. The TIP allows a Driver’s Education student to operate a motor vehicle when accompanied by a Driver’s Education Instructor and when completing the behind the wheel instruction or during the administration of a skills test.

Q. Can you upgrade my TIP if it is a “Limited Term” issuance?

A. No, this is a DMV only function.  We can only duplicate and change the address on these.  We cannot renew or upgrade them.

Q. Does ABC Title of Metairie charge any more than the DMV for Driver's License services?

A. We are permitted to charge an $23.00 Convenience Fee to issue any credential. We also charge a document prep and copy fee of up to $7.00 depending on the type of transaction. A bit more than the DMV, but how much is your time worth? By using us, you can avoid hours of sitting and waiting.